Master's Programs

The School of Education at Colorado State University offers a Master of Education (M.Ed.) degree in Education and Human Resource Studies , a Master of Arts (M.A.) degree in Counseling and Career Development, and a Master of Science (M.S.) degree in Student Affairs in Higher Education.

M.Ed. in Education and Human Resource Studies

Within the M.Ed. degree, we offer three different specializations—each focused on an area of theoretical and career interest for its graduate students. Some of these specializations are strictly campus-based, and others have a mix of online and campus-based delivery. Each of these specializations are described briefly below, with links to more detailed information about their curriculum, sequencing, and instructional delivery.

Adult Education and Training

Our Adult Education and Training specialization is offered through campus-based or online options. This program is designed to prepare practitioners for planning and instructional responsibilities appropriate for adult learners in postsecondary, community, and corporate settings.

Education Sciences

Our Education Sciences specialization is designed for individuals preparing for leadership positions in public education. Students in this specialization will develop leadership skills necessary to direct educational programs, become facilitators of educational change, and implement new problem-solving approaches. There are two options within this specialization - Administration/Principal Licensure or Teacher Licensure. The Administration option is offered on-campus and through distance delivery at school sites in Northern Colorado. The Teacher Licensure option is offered via distance delivery only at various school sites across Northern Colorado.

Organizational Learning, Performance and Change

Our Organizational Learning, Performance and Change specialization is offered through online delivery only. This masters program is designed for HRD and management professionals who are responsible for optimizing human capital and organizational performance. The course work addresses skill development and understanding related to strategic performance management, and organization change issues and processes.

M.A. in Counseling and Career Development

Our Counseling and Career Development degree is offered only through campus-based delivery. This program prepares professional counselors, and is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP). We offer a choice of three specializations: career counseling, clinical mental health counseling, and school counseling.

M.S. in Student Affairs in Higher Education

Our Student Affairs in Higher Education degree is designed for students seeking careers in college student personnel services and administration. The two-year program is offered through on-campus or online delivery, and is open to a limited number of students annually.


There is a ten-year time limit for completion of the master's or doctoral degrees. Courses to be applied toward fulfilling the requirements for the master's and doctoral degrees, including any which may have been transferred from another institution, must have been registered for and completed within the ten years immediately preceding the date of competition of requirements for the degrees.